Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tempting Fate

Well it is Dec 21, 2012 - the day the world is supposed to end, at least by some accounts. However, I was recently informed that while the Mayan calendar ends today, in fact, it just rolls over and starts at the beginning. So all those 5 year plans we made back in 2007 in anticipation of this being the last day may need to be re-thought...

It is also a Friday (here on the west side of the date line), so the fact that I have left on a trip out to Great Barrier island could be seen as tempting fate in two ways. I guess if the world is going to end today, I might as well be sailing, doing something I enjoy, when it happens...

I had planned to lay low in McCleod Bay, but the weather is better than expected and my friends Jo and Rob have their own plans for Christmas, so rather than be a third wheel, I figured I would make tracks. It feels great to be on the ocean again. There is a long slow swell moving Ladybug in a gentle rhythmic roll and the wind is a perfect light North Easter. I left on the afternoon ebb tide and will make an overnight passage. I will probably heave to until dawn rather than try to anchor in the moonlight.

No comments: